Thursday, June 18, 2009

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Before:

After:

It's been 2 weeks since this kid decided to put all that hair:
in the garbage!

It took some getting used to. The hair was his identity - for so long. After one botched attempt at a "trim" (by a barber) - I allowed him to be in complete control of how the "do" would be done. I've gotten used to just dropping him off at the salon with a check & he is very confident to communicate his EXACT desires for his hair. But then... all those fun friends of his started wondering if maybe it was too hot under all that hair. And if maybe he might be more comfortable with short hair. And I got to witness first-hand the peer-pressure my oldest child was exposed to when all those boys were in my kitchen a few weeks ago "pressuring" him to shave his head. I, of course, told him HE was in charge of any decisions relating to hair and he should do what HE wants. "But I'd be happy to do it for you... if that's what you want." He had to warm up to the idea. Took him about 5 days, but one night, kinda late, he wanted to take the plunge. So... I started snipping... (behind closed doors with his little sisters waiting anxiously on the other side)... when we were all done, he wanted to share his new self with our next door neighbors. We walked outside and the wind blew and his reaction was priceless. "Aaaahhhh, that feels SOOOO good!"

Wonder if he'll ever want long hair again.

He looks older to me. As well he should. He graduated from Elementary school last week. Here, with his amazing 6th grade teachers, he ends one big chapter of his life.

This Fall, he begins a new chapter - Middle School. I'm amazed by how quickly time flies. My little boy: hair today, gone tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment